Header Ads

Blackberry & Banana Muffin

When you have a toddler at home who has stopped napping there is very little opportunity to do anything, let alone baking. I normally have great intentions at the start of every week with a list of things I want to bake. Some weeks, I'll even have all the ingredients ready waiting for me but then all of a sudden it is Thursday and still no sign of freshly baked goods!


Recently, Oliver has been dropping his afternoon nap which usually means I'm trying to entertain an overtired toddler. Why do they insist on fighting nap time when they are quite clearly tired? Well today was a turnaround as he actually had a nap, so not one to miss an opportunity, I quietly tiptoed to the kitchen to get cracking.

One of Oliver's favourite muffins are my homemade banana and blueberry ones.  I didn't have any blueberries but I did have a massive tub of blackberries that I managed to get in a reduced to clear section for 20p! 

Perfect for Breakfast or Lunchboxes

These muffins are perfect not only for breakfast but also for lunchboxes and as a healthy snack. They contain no added sugar so are also perfect for baby led weaning. They are naturally sweet from the naturally occurring sugars from the ripe bananas. These are also freezer friendly, to help when you need something quick. I tend to defrost in the fridge overnight and then it's ready to go for either breakfast, snack or lunch. 

Recipe

Blackberry and Banana Muffins

Ingredients

150g self raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
60g unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
75g blackberries, washed and dried

Method

Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan). Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl then make a well. In a separate bowl add the melted butter and beaten egg to the mashed banana and stir. Then add the banana mixture into the flour. Fold gently together, do not over work. Then add in the blackberries and again stir gently. Divide the mixture into muffin cases or a greased muffin tray. I tried to only have one blackberry per muffin. Bake for around 20 minutes until risen and golden.



More easy muffin recipes can be found here:

Carrot and Apple

Cheese and Spinach 

Courgette 


To receive our blog posts, latest news and offers straight into your inbox please click here to sign up to our newsletter.

No comments